Freedive Clean Up
On 10 Aug 2019, we conducted Singapore's first ever freediving clean up. We removed 24.5kg of rubbish from the seabed and 22kg of rubbish from the beach at Lazarus Island. Approximately 6 months later, on 8 Feb 2020, we will revisit the site and if more trash has accumulated there, we will pick it up!
The clean up will be from 8.30am - 2.30pm. We will follow Project AWARE's Dive Against Debris protocol to not just clean up the area, but provide information on underwater debris to (hopefully) inform policy change.
- 8.30am - Meet at Marina South Pier and take the 9am ferry to St John's Island (the cost of $10 will go towards ferry tickets, the rest will be paid by Zen)
- 10am - Briefing on procedures and safety
- 10.30-12pm - Clean up (underwater and on the beach, depth will be 3-5m, this is where most of the rubbish is)
- 12-1pm - Sorting of trash collected and recording data
- 1-1.30pm - Shower
- 1.50pm - Board ferry back to Marina South Pier
- Freediving gear (let us know at least 2 days in advance if you need to borrow any)
- Drinking water (in a reusable bottle please)
- Snacks (preferably in reusable packaging)
- Towel and change of clothes
Freediving certification is required to participate in the underwater clean up (please indicate above). Freedivers with equalisation problems and non divers are welcome to help with other aspects of the clean up.